We are just a few days away from the end of 2020, one of the years in which Pokemon go has received more news and changes in its mechanics due to the coronavirus pandemic. Looking ahead to 2021 Niantic already has a few surprises in place that will begin to arrive as of December 31 to celebrate the new Year.
This will lead to a new event that will remain active until 10:00 p.m. (local time) on January 4, 2021. During those days it will be possible to cross the street with a few Pokémon dressed up for the occasion by wearing festive hats on the head, as will happen with Pikachu, Raticate, Wobbuffet or Wurmple, among others. Some of them will appear in the wild, while others will be obtained through research tasks or in raids.
At the same time, Slowpoke will go out with some 2020 glasses and it will change them for those of 2021 if you evolve to Slowbro. There will also be a few festive items for avatar to match the holidays and a few will apply bonus for Eggs– Double the candy, double the stardust and half the distance to hatch.
Everything coming in January 2021
The pace will not stop when the New Years event ends, because in January the raids will welcome a few Legendary Pokémon and Mega Evolved Pokémon that will vary every certain amount of days. Exactly these will be the dates on which they will be available:
- From January 1 to 5: Ho-Oh and may appear with its shiny version
- From January 5 to 12: Genesect with a PiroROM, Mega Abomasnow, Mega Blastoise and Mega Charizard Y, the latter being stronger than normal
- January 12-19: Heatran and may appear with its shiny version
- January 19-26: Mega Venusaur along with Kyogre and Groudon, who can appear with their shiny versions, while Mega Houndoom will become stronger than normal until February 8
- From January 26: a mysterious Pokémon will be available in the raids, although it has not been specified at the moment of which it will be.
In addition, on the occasion of Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto which will take place in February for the 25th anniversary of the saga, the previous weeks will be dedicated to Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova Pokémon so that they appear more often than normal. In between all this will also take place the Community day January, which will be held on January 16 and will feature Machop.
Finally, Niantic is preparing a new feature called Collection Challenges. At the moment the only thing that has advanced is that it will be a kind of guide that will serve to catch the featured Pokémon of the events, although we will have to wait until next month to know more details.