How will the behavior of the Spanish consumer (in relation to purchases through the Internet) during Christmas 2020? Showroomprive.es, the online private sales club specialized in fashion and accessories from exclusive brands with discounts of up to -70%, has once again carried out its annual survey on “Consumption Habits of Spaniards at Christmas”. This study analyzes the purchasing prospects of the population during the 2020 Christmas campaign: their degree of e-commerce adoption, their tastes and preferences when purchasing gifts and the average amount designated for them.
Below these lines are the conclusions of the survey, in addition to a comparison with the data obtained in 2019, in order to determine the differences between the two periods to assess the impact of the pandemic on the Spanish consumer’s will to purchase.
This 2020, how is the purchase intention of the company through the online channel with respect to last year’s Christmas purchases?
That e-commerce in Spain has seen its growth skyrocket during the months of confinement caused by Covid-19, is a reality. But, What is the evolution of this trend? Will Christmas 2020 be a click away? Seems that if. This study shows how this inclination remains positive: 41.76% of the population asserts that this year 2020 they will buy more online than last year (The percentage of respondents who answered the same in 2019 was much lower: 33.48%). Therefore, the number of Spaniards who will buy more or
minus the same number of products, (Being the 28.16% in 2020 vs. 43.87% in 2019). Likewise, this year the number of regulars to the online channel increases: 16.21% will make each and every one of their purchases through the network, (compared to 10.40% in 2019). The increasing predisposition towards saving on the part of Spanish households is also evident in this matter: a 6.46% of consumers say that this Christmas they will take into account the economy of their pocket and therefore, will buy less online; while a 7.42% will not buy anything online.
- This year I will buy more online than last year: 41.76% (vs. 33.48% in 2019)
- This year I will buy more or less the same number of products online as last year: 28.16% (vs. 43.87% in 2019)
- This year I will do all my Christmas shopping online: 16.21% (vs. 10.40% in 2019)
- This year I will buy less online than last year: 6.46% (vs. 5.70% in 2019)
- This year I will not buy anything online: 7.42% (vs. 6.55% in 2019)
What budget will Spaniards invest in gifts this Christmas 2020?
Everything points to a change in purchasing behavior as a result of the coronavirus crisis. As reflected by the data from Showroomprive’s Annual Consumer Habits Survey, In 2020, Spaniards will prioritize saving over spending when it comes to acquiring Christmas presents. More than half of the population, specifically 53.98%, expect to spend a maximum of € 200. (This percentage is made up of: 31.59% that will pay between € 100 and € 200 and the 22.39% who will use a sum of less than € 100). Between € 200 and € 300 will be the amount allocated by a 26.79% of the participants, (figure that decreases in contrast to 2019). Likewise, the number of buyers who will dedicate a total amount of between € 300 and € 400, being this year of 10.58%. Finally, just 8.65% will waste more than € 400, percentage that also decreases compared to the previous year (in 2019 it was 16.10%).
- Less than € 100: 22.39% (option not contemplated in 2019)
- Between € 100 and € 200: 31.59% (vs. 30.20% in 2019)
- Between € 200 and € 300: 26.79% (vs. 32.91% in 2019)
- Between € 300 and € 400: 10.58% (vs. 20.80% in 2019)
- More than 400 €: 8.65% (vs. 16.10% in 2019)
This year, when have the Spanish started / will they start the acquisition of Christmas gifts and / or Kings?
It is difficult to miss the incredible offers and discounts of the ‘Black Friday‘. That seems to be the thinking of the majority of Spaniards, since 44.51% say they have taken advantage of Black Friday to kick off their Christmas shopping, thus benefiting from better prices. In a year in which it is not very viable to make long-term plans, the number of consumers increases (percentage constituted by the 32.42%) who prefer to live from day to day and leave this kind of shopping for two or three weeks before Christmas. Also, with a 12.50%, the number of people rises that you prefer to make your purchases “last minute”. On the contrary, a small part of the population is very far-sighted, since a 10.58% claims to have started this activity in September / October.
- In November, taking advantage of the Black Friday offers: 44.51% (vs. 46.87% in 2019)
- Two or three weeks before Christmas approximately: 32.42% (vs. 31.05% in 2019)
- Days before, I leave everything to the last minute: 12.50% (vs. 8.69% in 2019)
- In September / October: 10.58% vs. (13.39% in 2019)
Ranking Top 10 of the most gifted in a “different” Christmas
There is no doubt that this year the celebration of the Christmas holidays will be atypical, but that does not imply the absence of gifts. And it is that the tradition of exchanging presents on these dates can be maintained in its entirety, And regardless of whether our loved ones are near or far, it is possible to convey all our affection to them as a gift. With what articles do the Spanish prefer to surprise their loved ones this Christmas 2020? Fashion reaffirms itself one more year as the most voted option: 19.69% will choose clothing and / or footwear, (figure that grows a couple of points with respect to 2019). Secondly, Perfumery and cosmetics strengthen their position with 14.71% (data very similar to last year). Toys, board games, and video games rise in the notch compared to 2019, this 2020 being the third best valued alternative with 14.40%. Here is the full ranking:
- Fashion (clothing and / or footwear): 19.69% (vs. 16.97% in 2019)Perfumery and / or cosmetics: 14.71% (vs. 14.79% in 2019)
- Toys, board games or video games: 14.40% (vs. 11.24% in 2019)
- Books: 11.68% (vs. 9.47% in 2019)
- Technology (smartphones, tablets…): 10.74% (vs. 11.41% in 2019)
- Jewelry, accessories and / or complements: 7.26% (vs. 8.04% in 2019)
- Decoration and home products: 7.00% (vs. 5.92% in 2019)
- Articles for practicing sports at home: 6.10% (vs. 8.86% in 2019)
- Cash: 5.17% (vs. 5.14% in 2019)
- Self-made gift: 3.25%